Sports gaming can be a fun activity if you do it well. But what are some of the keys to making the best sports picks?
Follow the Experts
If you just want to have some fun and don’t really care whether you win or lose some money, you don’t need to worry too much about research. After all, most of us have made casual bets for fun, whether it’s an office fantasy league or handicapping the NCAA tourney.
But if you’re looking at sports betting as a way to earn some extra money, it’s smart to realize that you’re probably going to be in over your head rather quickly. How many of us have the time, after all, to really research all the info and trends that allow you to make winning bets on a consistent basis?
Playing a hunch, or worse, your loyalty to your favorite team is a recipe for disaster in sports betting. While there will always be factors that you can’t account for when analyzing your picks (after all, it is a game), you’ll stand a better chance of success by tapping into the knowledge and databases employed by professional sports handicappers. The margin between making a profit and having a run of bad luck can be very small, so use all the resources at your command, like the info you’ll get from reputable handicapping sites.
Understand the Bets
Fortunately, sports betting isn’t that complicated (of course, you have to make the right pick, but that’s another matter.) You simply examine the picks and the point spread and choose the team that you think will win. But there are some different types of betting you should understand in order to make the best sports picks.
- Fixed-odds betting — With fixed odds betting the payoffs are set before the game begins. You place a bet before the game and if you lose, you lose that amount. If you win, you get the predetermined payout plus your original bet.
- In-play/live betting — As the name suggests, you can place bets during the game.
- Spread betting — With spread betting, you wager on totals for the game, for example, total goals in a soccer match, or total points in a basketball game.
There are only a few of the possible types of bets available when making sports picks. Best advice? Start simple and then try different systems as you feel fit. Always do your homework before you start trying different types of bets.
Employ a Strategy
Your strategy doesn’t have to be complicated. Remember these fundamentals and you’ll have more chances to be successful.
- Have a bankroll — You should never bet more than you can afford to lose. If you’re going to get into betting, treat it the same as you would an investment. Budget a set amount and don’t spend anything beyond that.
- Don’t bet on emotion — We’ve all got our favorite teams. Keep them out of the mix and approach your betting without letting emotion get the better of you.
- Bet sober — Successful betting requires sound judgment. And let’s face it, we all know our judgment isn’t as good as it should be after a couple (or more) beers.
- Do your homework — Don’t rely on one handicapper to the exclusion of other information. If you have an opportunity, compare different sportsbooks for their takes on games you want to bet on.
You Can Be a Winner!
Whatever your ultimate goal as a sport better is, why not give yourself the best chance to succeed? Follow these guidelines and you can step confidently into the world of making sports picks.