Also known as Italian breadsticks or Grissini, these long crunchy sticks are a perfect appetizer you will love to enjoy with a bowl of stew or soup. In this article, you will learn how to make Grissini breadsticks. Pasta, pizza and prosciutto are the most popular Italian dishes. Some of the Italian dishes are a little less popular but highly enjoyable dishes such as Italian breadsticks like Grissini breadsticks.
Grissini breadsticks originated in Turin Italy back in 1679. The Court baker was ordered by the Court Doctor to invent a bread for Vittorio Amedeo II, the future king. This is when these Italian breadsticks were made for the first time. Soon Grissini breadsticks became very popular. The biggest reason behind the popularity of these breadsticks was easier digestion. Regular bread was not easy to digest. Moreover, Grissini breadsticks were also easy to store for long. One could store these Italian breadsticks for weeks without going bad. Napoleon Bonaparte also loved these breadsticks. Let’s make these Italian breadsticks.
There are different ways you can make this dough. So, do a little research before making dough for Grissini breadsticks. Some people leave the dough in tepid water or slightly warm water for 5 minutes. Others add the dough to the flour and add liquid on top. Keep in mind that there are ill effects of both methods. So, in this article, we will try a different way of making the dough. This method is simple and easy.
- Add tepid water, honey and salt in a stand up mixer bowl.
- Add the flour and then add the yeast.
- Attach hook attachment and start to mix for 2 minutes.
- Add olive oil.
- Mix for 5 to 7 minutes to achieve elastic and compact dough.
You can use your favorite seeds or some rosemary for making plain or tasty Grissini breadsticks. Use a little olive oil to brush the dough before baking. Sprinkle seeds on the top. Or, you can divide the dough into 2 or 3 parts. Add the extras before the dough rises.
You can enjoy crunchy and tasty Grissini/Italian breadsticks as a delicious appetizer, as an afternoon snack or you can eat them with your favorite stew or soup.
Italian Breadsticks Recipe
Course: Appetizer, Antipasto, Snack, and Bread and Pizza
- Water (tepid): ½ cup + 1 tablespoon
- Honey: ½ teaspoon
- Salt:½ teaspoon
- All-purpose flour: 1 ¾ cup + ½ tablespoon
- Dry yeast: 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil: 2 ¼ tablespoons
- Attach the hook attachment to your standup mixer and add water, honey and salt to its bowl.
- Add flour and then add yeast.
- Mix for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- Add olive oil and mix for 5 to 7 minutes. You will get an elastic and compact dough.
- Move the dough to a flat surface.
- Knead to shape it into a ball.
- Oil a bowl and place this ball in it.
- Get a clean tea towel to cover the bowl.
- Let it rise in a draft free warm area. It will double in bulk within 90 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Oil a flat surface and move the dough to that surface.
- Cut the dough in small pieces.
- Stretch each piece into long sticks.
- Place these sticks on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake these sticks for 8 to 10 minutes. Your Italian cookies will turn golden.
- Leave for a few minutes to cool.
- Serve and enjoy.
The following table illustrates the nutrients you will get from these Italian breadsticks:
To make authentic Italian breadsticks, you need authentic Italian ingredients. You can easily get these ingredients if you live in Italy. What about people living in other parts of the world? You can find an Italian food online store delivering authentic Italian ingredients in the United States and other parts of the world.